Psalm 69:9 (KJV)
(9) For the zeal of thine house hath eaten me up; and the reproaches of them that reproached thee are fallen upon me.
This is one of the Messianic psalms. It falls in the category of a imprecatory psalm. It is the most frequently quoted psalm in the New Testament. Its psalmist is David. It has definite similarities with Psalm 35, 40 and 109. David also pens these. It is recognized that some of the verses are difficult to fit everything into the times of David. It may be that the original psalm ended with verse 29, and the Holy Spirit directed the prophet Jeremiah to add verses 30-36. This is the conclusion of the Bible Exposition Commentary (Be Series) Old Testament. These later verses take place after the fall of Judah and Jerusalem to the Babylonians.
They did not seek Jesus’ death when He did this act, but they planned to kill Him after the second cleansing. We are reminded that we are temple of the Holy Spirit.
1 Corinthians 3:16 (KJV)
(16) Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
1 Corinthians 6:19 (KJV)
(19) What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
Ephesians 2:21-22 (KJV)
(21) In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: (22) In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.
God wants our temple to be clean. It cannot be a den of thieves. It is important that we know what pollutes our temple.
Colossians 3:8 (KJV)
(8) But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
Galatians 5:19-21 (KJV)
(19) Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, (20) Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, (21) Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
The word “variance” means debating or quarreling along with strife. Emulation means we possess the desire to have what others possess.
Four things can rob the believer:
Wealth becomes our god http://ref.ly/Mt19.24
In love with this world http://ref.ly/2Ti4.10
Mattoon’s Treasures says: “Repentance is not only saying, “I’m sorry.” It is also saying, “I’m through.”