When it comes to the speaker of this passage, Bible scholars do not agree. It could be John the Baptist or John the apostle. Some students believe that http://ref.ly/Jn3.16-21 came from the Apostle John and not Jesus. Early manuscripts show no quotation marks. It really is of no importance who spoke these words, but they are inspired. The truth they contain is not dependent on who the author of the words is. They do speak of the following:
The Preeminence of Christ. John 3:31 (NASB)
(31) “He who comes from above is above all, he who is of the earth is from the earth and speaks of the earth. He who comes from heaven is above all.”
He is King of Kings, and Lord of Lords– http://ref.ly/Re19.16 Therefore Philippians 2:10-11 (NASB)
(10) “so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, (11) and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” The day is coming when the world will give Jesus this honor.
The Popularity of Christ
John 3:32 (NASB)
(32) “What He has seen and heard, of that He testifies; and no one receives His testimony.” Some have received Christ, but the number is so few that this scripture is justified. If you are a Christ-follower, you are in a vast minority in the world.
The Purity of God.
John 3:33 (NASB)
(33) “He who has received His testimony has set his seal to this, that God is true.” When you receive Jesus, you are saying He is true. Note the word “seal.” “It indicates a public, formal, and strong declaration.” [Ibid.] True believers are strong in their belief about God.
The Preaching of the Sent
John 3:34 (NASB)
(34) “For He whom God has sent speaks the words of God; for He gives the Spirit without measure.” This reveals the greatness of Jesus Christ. Jesus has been placed above all. http://ref.ly/Co1.18 Since Jesus is “above all,” it is only fitting that Spirit be upon Him without limit.
The Passion for the Son
John 3:35 (NASB)
(35) “The Father loves the Son and has given all things into His hand.” Because of the great love of the Father, He gave up His Son to die for us. We would be saved and in fellowship with the Father. This thought helps us to better appreciate our salvation.
The Possessions for the Son
John 3:35 (NASB)
(35) “The Father loves the Son and has given all things into His hand.” The Father has bestowed Christ with the greatest wealth of all. What does this mean for us as believers? We are extremely wealthy. We are joint heirs with Christ.
http://ref.ly/Ro8.17 It is impossible for the finite mind to perceive what this means. There is no comparison to earthly wealth.
John 3:36 (NASB)
(36) “He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.” The way of salvation is simply stated.
1. The Perquisite for salvation Believe. The place of faith is repeated in the scriptures. Note Ephesians 2:8-9 (NASB) (8) “For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; (9) not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.” There is no room for works when it comes to salvation.
2. The Path to salvation. John 3:36 (NASB) (36) “He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.” The way of salvation is plainly stated. Acts 16:31 (NASB)
(31) “They said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.” There is no room for works when it comes to salvation
There are three points when it comes to damnation
1. Rejection. Believeth not. It begins with rejection of Jesus Christ. Men will be divided for eternity when it comes to their attitude about Jesus Christ.
2. Restriction. They shall not see life. The phrase “shall not” is firm fence which stops any Christ-rejecter from entering heaven. Such individual will never see eternal life in Heaven!
3. Ruin. The wrath of God abides on him. Anyone’s wrath is better to experience than God’s wrath. God is love, yes, but God is also a God of wrath. Christ-rejecters will spend eternity in the fires of hell Revelation 21:8